Most throat irritations are caused by viral infections. They are manifested by sore throat, itching, pain on swallowing. This situation is worse in the morning but improves during the day. The pain can be caused by diseases of pharynx, larynx, or tonsils. These are characteristic in throat area but can be more serious problems occurring in other parts of the respiratory system leading to acute bronchitis or influenza. For pain relief are many natural methods used by our grandparents, but with time have been forgotten and replaced by products containing many chemicals. Some of these remedies are gargling, hot tea, honey, lemon.
What is tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis is swollen tonsils. Frequently is caused by a bacterial infection, and sometimes a by a virus. Tonsils help to screen out bacteria and other microorganisms to prevent infection of the body. Sometimes, however, are overwhelmed by viral and bacterial microorganisms, producing red and swollen tonsils. Since the tonsils are located in the neck, behind the tongue, the symptoms of tonsillitis or strep throat are similar.
What is strep throat?
Strep throat is often encountered in the period from October to April, especially in children between 5-10 years, or adults. Infection is spread from person to person through nasal secretions and saliva. Pharyngitis is caused by the Streptococcus bacteria and causes strep throat pain, similar to those caused by viruses or bacteria. Strep throat may be accompanied by rash. They occur in 12-48 hours after onset, and tend to disappear after 4-5 days, sometimes accompanied by scaly skin (especially on the palms and soles). Complications such as ear infection, sinusitis and pneumonia can occur if not treated in time. A rare but very serious complication is rheumatic fever, which can damage heart valves and kidneys. Rheumatic fever can be prevented by antibiotics.
Symptoms of tonsillitis and strep throat are:
* Sore throat;
* High fever for 3-5 days (38.5-40.5 degrees C);
* White spots on tonsils or throat;
* Pain on swallowing;
* Redness and swollen tonsils;
* Swollen glands and sore throat;
* Red throat;
* Stomach pain.
How we can make the difference between a viral and a bacterial infection?
The main difference is the cough and runny nose, which are more obvious in the case of viral infections. Fever occurs suddenly, is large and takes several days for bacterial infection. It is generally difficult to tell the difference and only certain medical tests can determine the cause. Your doctor may recommend a throat swab – taking a sample from the throat with a cotton swab. If the doctor suspects an infectious mononucleosis, recommends a blood test.
What treatments can be applied to eliminate pain in the throat?
Antibiotics for viral infections proved ineffective and not recommended. Symptoms will begin to disappear when body starts the self-defense, recovery having place in 7-10 days.
* Medicines for fever. Children under 12 cannot be given aspirin because of the danger of Reyes syndrome.
* Gargle with warm water and salt (1/4 teaspoon of salt dissolved in one cup water).
* Adults and older children can use candy to ease the burning sensation in the throat or suck ice cubes.
* High consumption of hot or cold liquids (avoid hot liquids or food, they being able to irritate the throat worse), easily digestible foods and how much more fluid.
Calivita natural products recommended in sore throat
– Garlic and parsley extract has a detoxifying, antibacterial, diaphoretic and expectorant effect. Garlic Caps is a dietary supplement with natural antibiotic effect beneficial in infections with microorganisms such as Staphylococcus, E. coli, Proteus Pseudomonas or Candida albicans.
– Oregano Oil also presents a natural antibiotic effect, effective in fungal infections, bacterial, and parasitic microorganisms.
– Vitamin C 1000 with slow absorption increase immunity and provide protection against colds and flu. It also helps accelerate healing infections already present.
– White willow bark extract with natural aspirin effect is calming pain and inflammation. White Whillow also lowers fever and combat rheumatism.